Buying and Selling Antiques of all Kinds!

I have been an antique dealer for more than 25 years! I have thoroughly enjoyed hunting for eclectic finds at tag and estate sales, auctions and buying from individuals looking to downsize. I believe in the green movement, that is re-purposing old things and bringing them back to use. The purpose of this blog is to share my journey into the world of antiques...from the beginning to the end sale and every point in between!

Friday, September 19, 2014

Why I love Vintage Cookbooks!!

I confess, I'm obsessed with vintage cookbooks!  Especially the ones with great photos!  I have amassed quite a collection of all kinds and ages.  Its fun to follow the history of cooking...people used what they had on hand, cooking for large families or groups, traditions amongst ethnic groups, etc.
Above is an example of one of my favorite cookbooks!  Why, you say?  It was passed down from my mom, and I have fond memories of her using some of the recipes!  The book dates back to 1974, a time in my parent's life that they loved to entertain and experiment with new flavors.  A time when Julia Child's french cuisine was popular!

A few nights ago, I thought I'd make one of my favorites!  10 Minute Sukiyaki!  As you can see from the recipe...its been made a lot!!  I checked the ingredient list, and to my dismay...the pantry was missing mushrooms...oh well...grab a glass of wine and improvise!!
I added a few more fresh vegetables in substitution, and didn't even notice the lack of mushrooms!
Recipe also instructs to use an electric...once again I took liberties and used a stove top wok!
Served with brown rice, the final product was amazing!!
So don't pass up those vintage cookbooks...they not only hold recipes that stand today, but also rekindle happy memories and give us glimpses into the past!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment